Topic: Inevitable GTA IV PC Release Dated - 18 NOV 2008

inpheaux wrote:

In an announcement no one saw coming, Take 2 and Rockstar announced today that Grand Theft Auto IV will be gracing PCs this fall, on November 18th.

No comments on if - similar to the GTA:SA PC release - we'll see some of the more annoying aspects of the game fixed up, but hey, at least we know you won't have to worry about your Rock Band controller freezing the game on boot. At the very least, if the game is anywhere near as moddable as its previous-generation predecessors, someone should be able to release a "make the cars all stop handling like ass" patch and a "make your cahzin stop bugging you every 15 minutes" patch.

Not quite the October some people were predicting, but well, here they are, right about on schedule with a PC release about 6-7 months after consoles.

Re: Inevitable GTA IV PC Release Dated - 18 NOV 2008

Holly wrote:
inpheaux wrote:

someone should be able to release a "make the cars all stop handling like ass" patch

The car thing really isn't that big of a deal once you get the hang of driving, and find a decent car.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/craigpartain/all-that-you-love02.jpg

It makes me laugh that early reports of the new Midnight Club say the cars handles really great like the cars in GTA 4.

On the subject of GTA 4, I didn't even finish it before I lost interest. It started with some solid gold stuff, and just went downhill about halfway through the second island. Redeemed itself with the HEAT mission, and then decended into sucking again.

"Did someone just say Valve made the Source engine? It's the Quake engine with shaders and an entity I/O system" - [dys] termi

I wouldn't say the game sucked, but it was nowhere near as fun as GTA3, Vice City or San Andreas. Even in a good car the handling was terrible, the missions were all pretty generic, the plot wasn't very engaging, the characters were lame and annoying, etc.

Loki wrote:

On the subject of GTA 4, I didn't even finish it before I lost interest. It started with some solid gold stuff, and just went downhill about halfway through the second island. Redeemed itself with the HEAT mission, and then decended into sucking again.

Same for me. I got about 60% through with the game, and then had to take a break from it. Came back to it about a month later and I've since completed it to 100%.

I still have to disagree about the driving though. With a decent car (I prefer the Feltzer or Turismo), I can drive considerable distances at near maximum speed with few collisions. I find the motorcycles a little difficult, but cars I can handle with ease. Shooting while driving is a problem though.

the driving wasn't bad, but it was a lot more realistic. realism is not really an asset in a game where you get to walk around with a rocket launcher blowing up hordes of cops and shit. if the previous games hadn't set a precedent for crazy-shit driving where most people didn't even use a brake that wasn't the handbrake, and you really didn't need to, then it would have been hunky dory. i don't have a problem with realistic driving physics, but they need to stay in games like gt and forza.

as for the game overall, i remain shockingly uninterested by it. haven't touched the thing since june. honestly i think i've been ruined by crackdown. every time i play a sandbox-type game these days, i walk around, get frustrated that i can't jump 50 feet in the air and punt guys half a mile into the ocean, and quit.

oh well.

Meh, it's a good game, but definitely not worthy of all the 10's and 5-stars it was getting. All the money, all the actors, graphics, story, etc couldn't be bothered to keep me interested in continuing the game if only just for the sake of continuing the game. It's like those flash games you play and complete just because you're bored and feel you have to.

The problem is CoD4 and Burnout Paradise were just a DVD change away. I keep playing missions in B: P because I want to beat them, damn it. Losing a Burning Route by 1 second only pushes me to perform better the next time. Burnout: Paradise dodged a 10 in GameInformer (the only magazine I read about gaming because it's free with all the shit I trade into GameStop) because of nitpicky bullshit like having to drive back to re-do an event. OH NOES!

GTA4 gets a 10 even though it suffers from the same thing every 3D GTA has: keeping the player motivated to complete the game. "Oh, you just have to slog through the first missions to get to the good parts." Bullshit. If you want a 10, you have to earn it. CoD4 and even Crackdown grabbed my attention early on and kept it. Crackdown just suffered due to the realization that it's just "drive around > kill bad guy > level up a bit." But, then again, that's all they promised. And it does that job extremely well.

GTA4 is supposed to be some blockbuster action movie/game. What's the big deal with action movies? They grab you early on and keep you. GTA4 lost this idea somewhere in between the graphics and insanely annoying missions and character interactions. Burnout and CoD4, at times, has made me so frustrated I've tested the tensile strength of the plastic on my 360 controller (it lost once). GTA4? Meh, who cares. I'm just not into it enough to care. And that says loads about it's rating.

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/75.125.97.195:27015/banner_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png

Wow, with all the praise I see the game get, I thought I was the only one uninterested in the game.

"Did someone just say Valve made the Source engine? It's the Quake engine with shaders and an entity I/O system" - [dys] termi

Loki wrote:

Wow, with all the praise I see the game get, I thought I was the only one uninterested in the game.

I hear you. On other forums, I'm actually adverse to saying bad things (although, not even that, just valid critisism) about GTA4 for fear of delving into a flame-fest. It's pretty much a sacred cow like Halo 3.

People have been taking the parts of the game and analyzing them separately in order to espouse about it's greatness. As I said, the Graphics, storyline, controls (which ARE weak in both on foot and behind the wheel), among other things and assume that since the pedigree is there, it all must mesh well together. It doesn't. The game always felt disjointed to me (as some older GTAs have felt). I slog through it to get to the next part, not really because I want to.

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/75.125.97.195:27015/banner_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png

Well, I personally had no trouble getting interested and staying hooked on GTA4. I found the story very intriguing. Then again, I am a big fan of mafia-esque and organized crime fiction, which I'm sure had a lot to do with that. I thoroughly enjoyed most of the missions and did not feel that I had to 'slog through' them at all. That being said, it did start to lose momentum after a while. I did get bored with the game a little over halfway through and stopped playing it, and then didn't finish it until a month later.

I enjoyed the GTA4 a lot. But I do agree that it is overrated-  the game doesn't quite deserve the perfect scores that every site seems to award it.

Last edited by Jedi Knight Ax (2008-08-15 05:19:49)

TheFeniX wrote:

Burnout: Paradise dodged a 10 in GameInformer (the only magazine I read about gaming because it's free with all the shit I trade into GameStop) because of nitpicky bullshit like having to drive back to re-do an event. OH NOES!

GTA4 gets a 10 even though it suffers from the same thing every 3D GTA has: keeping the player motivated to complete the game. "Oh, you just have to slog through the first missions to get to the good parts." Bullshit. If you want a 10, you have to earn it. CoD4 and even Crackdown grabbed my attention early on and kept it. Crackdown just suffered due to the realization that it's just "drive around > kill bad guy > level up a bit." But, then again, that's all they promised. And it does that job extremely well.

gay men former is easily the worst non-console-specific gaming rag in existence

they gave a 10 to metal gear solid 2

basically any game from a major publisher that is part of a respected franchise is guaranteed to get a 9+

the only thing it's good for is reading the one exclusive they have while you're on the shitter (in which they fawn over a game that's about a year and a half away, proclaiming it the best shit ever, then 90% of the time it comes out, is shit, and they say PSH NOT THAT GOOD WE NEVER LIKED THIS. i'd suggest wiping your ass with the rest of the magazine but the glossy pages aren't even good for that. worthless!

gotta say tho the new batman game they covered in the new one looks dope as fuck