Topic: E3 2008 - Microsoft Press Conference

inpheaux wrote:

Super-condensed Highlight Reel Time!

Games You Care About

• Fallout 3 . . . turns out it's Fallout 3. Shocking. I mean, it's good and all, but it isn't really news.

• Gears of War 2. See above.

• Banjo Kazooie 3 & Viva Pinata 2. Rare makes sequels, film at 11. Ok, no, seriously they look pretty good. Winter 2008.

• Guitar Hero 4 - 85 master tracks, lame stuff we already knew about ("make your own tracks!!!"), lame stuff we don't care about ("WHOAAA GUYS! SUPER SPECIAL TREAT FOR 360 GAMERS . . YOU GET 3 REM TRACKS! NOT FREE OR ANYTHING . . JUST LIKE . . AN EXCLUSIVE PACK. TO BUY.") Also the new Metallica album will be available as DLC for GH3 and GH4 whenever it actually gets released.

• Rockband 2 - 84 tracks on the disc (the leaked list was mostly right), all RB1 content is compatible and transferrable, 360 exclusive at launch (which will be worldwide this time for reals). Shooting for 500 tracks available for RB2 by the end of the year.

Dashboard Refresh
Remember a few months ago when there were leaks from inside Rare saying "Uhhhh, guys, Microsoft is making us rip off Nintendo in a Big Way and it makes us feel dirty." Totally true. The new dashboard coming this fall is all social crap all the time. It's got fake-Miis, fake-photo-sharing-app, fake everything. I would not be surprised if they make us pay a quarter for a shirt like they do with gamerpics right now.

Good news: they're expanding their video stuff. Not only will there be new partnerships for normal video content, but the new dashboard will bring Netflix streaming capability to the 360. It'll work just like That Roku Thing, except you already have one.

Games You Don't Care About

• Scene It Sequel, bleh.

• Lame Camera Stuff, bleeh.

• Partnership with the tools responsible for 1 vs 100, Big Brother, Fear Factor, etc to produce "Live" versions of shows like 1 vs 100, ultra bleh.

• Lips. It's a Karaoke game. From iNiS, the guys responsible for Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Elite Beat Agents. Unfortunately it isn't innovative. It's just Karaoke.

XBLA Stuff

• Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved: 2: Colon: The Game: The Sequel: JUMP IN. It's Geometry Wars, with 4-player MP, and extra crazy stuff.

• Galaga Sequel from the same team as PacMan CE. May be sacrilege. I am reserving judgement until a demo is out.

• Portal - Still Alive. It's a level pack, and if it isn't being released on Steam I will go on a rampage.

Super Secret Bonus Stuff
Square Enix dropped a bomb: Final Fantasy XIII is no longer PS3 exclusive. Sucks to be you, Sony Defense Force. Also, inexplicably, they are releasing Last Remnant on the 360 and PC. Why? No one knows.

That's all for today, Nintendo and Sony are tomorrow. Get your press conference bingo cards ready.

Re: E3 2008 - Microsoft Press Conference

Also the new Metallica album will be available as DLC for GH3 and GH4 whenever it actually gets released.

Pfft.... no wait.... pfft. People still listen to anything new by Metallica? Black Album please.

# Rockband 2 - 84 tracks on the disc (the leaked list was mostly right), all RB1 content is compatible and transferrable, 360 exclusive at launch (which will be worldwide this time for reals). Shooting for 500 tracks available for RB2 by the end of the year.

That's good. I get real tired of having to put in GH2 just to play Sweet Child of Mine. Otherwise, the game would already be in the used pile at Gamestop.

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/75.125.97.195:27015/banner_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png

I find it hilarious that the new dashboard just looks like the XMB with new icons.

"Did someone just say Valve made the Source engine? It's the Quake engine with shaders and an entity I/O system" - [dys] termi

The streaming Netflix thing is kind of cool. Or would be, if I used Netflix.

edit:

I just watched the new footage for Resident Evil 5. Looks awesome, plus: online co-op! Cannot fucking wait.

Last edited by Jedi Knight Ax (2008-07-15 16:14:55)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/craigpartain/all-that-you-love02.jpg

Loki wrote:

I find it hilarious that the new dashboard just looks like the XMB with new icons.

I was sorta disappointed by this. It's pretty much just a mashup of Nintendo + Sony UI elements. But despite being incredibly derivative it's still good, thanks to having a combination of great games and the most compelling and most tightly integrated online component. It's how I wish the Wii worked, with friend / avatar stuff that's actually associated with the friend regardless of if they're online or in the room. It's how I wish Sony's stuff worked, with friend / matchmaking interaction that won't require wandering around Fake Second Life.

Loki wrote:

don't make me bring up Trophies.

Jedi Knight Ax wrote:

The streaming Netflix thing is kind of cool. Or would be, if I used Netflix.

edit:

I just watched the new footage for Resident Evil 5. Looks awesome, plus: online co-op! Cannot fucking wait.

the netflix bit is fantastic. i ended up cancelling my cable tv because tv sucks, but there are times when i just want to watch something Right Now without shelling out ms points. now i won't miss cable at all!

and yes, re5 is going to own so hard that i don't even have an appropriate metaphor.

Metallian wrote:

don't make me bring up Trophies.

Well, now every time a 360 fanboy launches a 'Sony ripped off acheivements', PS3 and Wii fanboys can launch back 'How are you enjoying the GUI we've had for ages?'. But hey, I personally don't care. I'm as far from being a fanboy as anyone could possibly be. I just think it's funny.

"Did someone just say Valve made the Source engine? It's the Quake engine with shaders and an entity I/O system" - [dys] termi

Loki wrote:

Well, now every time a 360 fanboy launches a 'Sony ripped off acheivements', PS3 and Wii fanboys can launch back 'How are you enjoying the GUI we've had for ages?'.

yeah that was actually my exact point. people rip shit off when it proves popular. the sony gui is beautiful, and if they'd just pull their head out of several kilometers of their own ass and keep their promises concerning features and content, that might be worth something one day. the wii's mii system is... wait, this sucks. nobody wants to be more like the wii. friend codes are retarded and hard to use, nobody over the age of 12 likes bobblehead avatars, but shit, i guess the kids like it. the dashboard worked, and had the content and feature set, but it ended up being cumbersome to navigate once marketplace grew to about 20 times its initially planned size. and there are really several redundancies between the menu 'blades' for other features that can be cut out. a single, more xmb-ish global menu is going to be a much better system overall even if we have to put up with that mii horseshit.

and i wouldn't call you a fanboy. a fanboy stays loyal to a manufacturer over generations, i'd peg you as more of an apologist.

I could care less who MS ripped off, so long as they fix their abysmal dashboard interface.  Not that I don't SWOON with joy every time I want to actually READ what some XBL item actually IS and have to wait 2 to 4 days for the text box to begin scrolling.

http://www.geocities.com/tomatohotep/dawnsigBW04.jpg