Topic: BAD END: Bioware & Pandemic gobbled-up by EA

inpheaux wrote:

All bad news, all the time.

Out of nowhere, EA has decided that it would be super neat if they went ahead and bought-out Bioware and Pandemic, to build upon their game-development Empire of Doom. If they were another less-established pair of independent developers, sure, this would be pretty decent news, since it would mean stable funding and a guaranteed publisher for whatever projects they come up with.

. . . but this is Bioware and Pandemic. When was the last time either of them had a hard time getting a publisher? And when was the last time EA bought out a developer and then let it retain its unique culture? Look at what's left of Maxis. Look at what's left of Westwood. Sure, it might turn out ok in the end, but the odds are stacked against them. Lets just hope we don't end up with MASS EFFECT '09 w/EA TRAXX.

Re: BAD END: Bioware & Pandemic gobbled-up by EA

So now I'll get to listen to Fergie while playing Neverwinter Nights 3?

Well, that's assuming EA don't dissolve Bioware first.

Fucking EA.

Last edited by Loki (2007-10-12 21:06:17)

"Did someone just say Valve made the Source engine? It's the Quake engine with shaders and an entity I/O system" - [dys] termi

Well, it's not April 1st... so this must be a nightmare. Someone, wake me up.

Please.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/craigpartain/all-that-you-love02.jpg

Loki wrote:

So now I'll get to listen to Fergie while playing Neverwinter Nights 3?

Well, that's assuming EA don't dissolve Bioware first.

Oh no it doesn't. Since EA owns them now, they own Bioware's IP. This means they can make NWN 2010 long after they've scared all the talent out of Bioware.

I had a hope that they kept ownership of their IP, like a few developers do (Monolith with fear... except the name, for example).

"Did someone just say Valve made the Source engine? It's the Quake engine with shaders and an entity I/O system" - [dys] termi

inpheaux wrote:

Oh no it doesn't. Since EA owns them now, they own Bioware's IP. This means they can make NWN 2010 long after they've scared all the talent out of Bioware.

foreverwinter nights?