Topic: Shadow of the Colossus cleans up at the GDC Awards

The 2006 Game Developers conference has been going on all week and one of today's events was the presentation of the Game Developers Choice Awards, quite possibly the only videogame-related awards worth listening to.

The winners? Four games ended up taking everything: Shadow of the Colossus, Psychonauts, Guitar Hero and Nintendogs. I don't think I could have come up with a better list.

Shadow of the Colossus came up with top honors, with the Best Game award, plus the awards for Game Design, Character Design, Visual Arts, and Innovation. The other three took two awards each, Psychonauts [and Double Fine] with the Writing and New Studio awards, Nintendogs with Technology and Innovation, and Guitar Hero with Audio and Innovation. They apparently hand out Innovation awards like candy at the GDC Awards, as they gave out three this year. Not to say they weren't all deserving.

More GDC news later today, with a wrap-up of both the Sony and Nintendo Keynotes.

Source: Next Gen

Re: Shadow of the Colossus cleans up at the GDC Awards

I'm surprised to see Nintendogs grouped with the other three. Since it was released, I've looked at it as a gimick game. Kind of a super version of those Tamagochi (sp?) things that were thriving a few years ago. Is the game actually any good?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/craigpartain/all-that-you-love02.jpg

I'm surprised to see Nintendogs grouped with the other three. Since it was released, I've looked at it as a gimick game. Kind of a super version of those Tamagochi (sp?) things that were thriving a few years ago. Is the game actually any good?

comparing it to a tamagotchi is like comparing a game & watch to a DS. if you hear a quick description [like "oh, it's a handheld gaming device from nintendo with two screens and a hinge in the middle." ] they may sound the same, but in actuality they're far far far far different.

granted, nintendogs isn't a game for everyone, i didn't personally like it, though, this may be attributed to me not letting myself like it. i try to specifically keep myself from getting into games that will make me feel guilty playing them. examples: games without ends [the sims, nintendogs, animal crossing], games you have to constantly pay for [mmorpgs, i'd feel like if i didn't play it a certain amount per month i wasn't getting my money's worth], or games that penalize you for not playing daily [animal crossing, nintendogs].

however, even though i've stayed away from it, i can still see that it was definitely worthy of the technology and innovation awards it received.

I've only played 'Nintendogs' on the demo kiosks at the mall.  My main observation is that the game makes my back hurt. But that's probably because the kiosks are designed for children.

I played the thing for as long as the demo kiosk let me play it, and didn't worry about looking silly. So that's a pretty good sign.  However, I'm not sure if it would hold my interest for a long time. 

I can never buy 'Nintendogs', because I'm afraid if I did, I'd either play it constantly, or never at all. I'm not sure which.

I spend all day in Virtual Reality.  I come out to play video games.

My guess would be 'never at all', which just happens to be how often I play my DS these days.

Instead of never playing it. You should try always playing it.  Instead of sleeping.

All my time gets sunk into world of warcraft. I should probably do something about that... know any good mmo rehab clinics?

i will steal your computer for only 200 dollars. that's way cheaper than rehab. everybody wins with this deal.

For $150 I will steal your computer and your credit card.

Just spent my last $35 on my bi-monthly fix sad